Lately, I’ve seen several articles come up in my news feed with titles like 5 Tips to Being a Successful Stay-at-Home Mom, 10 Ways to Win at Being a Working Mom, or 7 Habits Every Best Mom Does Daily. I read a few, out of curiosity. I mean, who knew there were a set number of steps to take to succeed at parenting?? I began reading expecting to feel a little worse about myself afterward, and I wasn’t disappointed, although not exactly right either.
If I were to sum up the advice it would be to stick to a schedule, stay organized, take time for yourself, keep your house clean, meal plan/prep, have date nights…in other words, do it all. I totally understand this advice. These things are important and helpful, but if you are not doing these things daily, (and none of us are, am I right?) I have a sneaky little feeling that you can still be a “successful parent”. In fact, I’m sure of it. So sure, that I made my very own list of How to be a Successful Parent.
1. Feed your kid. Keeping them hydrated is good too.
2. Give them a roof to sleep under. A tent counts.
3. Do what you can to keep them from harm. Like, running with knives and playing in the medicine cabinet should definitely not be allowed.
4. Lead by example. If you want them to treat others kindly, do the same. (However, slipping up is cool too. They should know we all make mistakes.)
5. Love them. It’s what they need most.
At the end of the day if you all survived, then give yourself a pat on the back because you are one successful parent. Hurrah!
AND, if you managed to survive the day and clean your house then you most definitely deserve some ice cream.