False Alarm

At work last night something happened…I don’t want to get too detailed for the sake of you squirmy people out there, so let’s just say I sprung a leak. Still too much? Oh well. I knew something was not normal, but I felt perfect, so I ignored it and finished working. I know, I know…not smart, but again, I felt perfect!

On the way home, I stopped for gas and Googled my symptoms. I don’t normally do this, but I was 99% sure the results would assure me that all is well. Wrong. Every single freakin’ website said “Call your doctor or go to the hospital immediately!”. Again, I thought, I feel fine! I was tired after work, hungry and needed to go to bed early for a subbing job the next day. I did not have time to go to the hospital, especially since I felt fine. No way.

I decided to give a very good friend who very recently had a baby a call. I wanted her to tell me Google is wrong. She did not. In her very nice calm way she basically said, “Stop being stubborn and go to the hospital.” Uggghhhhh.

At this point I called Husband to give him a head’s up that I might possibly need to go to the hospital, but I was going to call our doctor first. Turns out, you can call your doctor virtually anytime if you’re pregnant! I had to speak with a nurse first, but 30 seconds after hanging up with her my doctor called me back and told me to go to the hospital NOW. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Now, I had been the perfect picture of calm all night. I felt fine. I knew nothing was wrong, and I just had this absolute calmness about me, until he called. My doctor is super chill, so when he sounded the slightest bit urgent on the phone my fears began to creep in and start to work. Obviously, a million things were running through my mind on our very long 40 minute drive, but mostly I worried I was going to be put on bed rest. “I can’t be put on bed rest” is all I kept muttering.

I expected an emergency room sort of reaction when I arrived, but the baby wing at our hospital was not alarmed. They were expecting me, but had me wait my turn, register, fill out SO much paper work and took about 45 minutes to admit me. Admit me. Are you serious? Can’t you just check me out and send me on my way?

They had to treat me as if I was in labor. We had to answer questions about epidurals, decide how many visitors we wanted, and basically create our entire birthing plan and then some. I was hesitant to answer because a) I am supposed to have 3 more months to make these decisions and b) I am not having this baby right now!

They actually put me in a wheelchair and rolled me to my room! I have to tell you, this is not at all what Husband and I expected on the drive to the hospital. I had a baby heartbeat monitor on, a contractions monitor and a blood pressure cuff for hours! Considering the situation, and my history, I was still fairly calm. I wasn’t panicking and I only cried on the car ride so I was feeling a little proud of myself…. Then, the blood pressure taking started.

Getting rolled into my room.
Getting rolled into my room.


It was obviously high. I have serious issues with getting my blood pressure taken and hospitals in general. Lucky for me, I got to keep the cuff on and have it automatically taken every 15 minutes. So, as I lay in a hospital bed watching Conan I had to listen to my baby’s fast little heart beating (this is probably soothing for some, but not at all for me), watch the monitors and constantly get worked up over my stupid blood pressure being taken. It was torture. I was oh so close to taking it off, but I acted like a big girl and kept it attached.


I kept it on because I decided at that point to use this time as a positive opportunity. Yes, our night was ruined, supper was left on the stove, I had to cancel my job for the next day and I was feeling frightened, but I was learning so much!  We got fully registered at the hospital, learned exactly what to expect when delivery time does come, got to know some of the very friendly staff and even began to get use to having my blood pressure taken. So I stayed in the bed, allowed the testing and reminded myself that it will just be easier next time around.

Eventually the nurse came back to tell us “False alarm!”. Our baby girl is perfectly healthy and I am perfectly healthy. She told us this was our first false alarm and we should go home and get plenty of rest. I told her it will hopefully be our only false alarm, and I’ll see her again in 3 months.

Whew. The second we were released I realized how hungry I was. Husband and I were both relieved and ready to get home. We ate dinner and fell fast asleep on the couch together at 1 am. It wasn’t exactly a great night, but it could have been much worse. No need to worry or be alarmed. Doctor says I’m perfect and to continue on as normal.

That’s the best news I heard all day.


4 thoughts on “False Alarm”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s